Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The F word!

One of my mates asked me today, "So tell me, how is your life as NOT a student?", and I replied "I spend too much time thinking about the F word."

Ditch the thoughts, I mean FINANCE.

5 years back, i left a lot of things i cherished behind me, chasing a dream, and 5 years now, I am still undecided which was the right step. But one thing I am certain is I dont feel I have taken a wrong turn yet.

Life as a student in a forgein country was an ordeal and an adventure in itself. Life changed from waking up and finding warm milk and mom-made breakfast on the table, to waking up and wondering if i shld go thru the hassle of making any breakfast. Only comfort was, i could bunk school without having to make excuses to parentals!

So what has changed from that student to being a pro now ? I still wake up and wonder if i shld hassle myself with breakfast, but I have to make excuses if i wanna bunk work... But who wants to make excuses when I love the work I do anyway :-) Its nice to have a nice chunk of money flowing into your account every month, and knowing u worked for it. Its nice to walk into a building and feel a part of a team who is doing something that is changing the world.

Its nice to finally feel independant and find yourself building your own identity. But in the first week of orientation, I figure I have to decide who gets a big chunk of money if i die during employment. What pension options do i want?! What health insurance do i choose?! Planning my education loan reapayment... And the story goes on! And thats where it all started. Apart from earning and spending, you now worry about "future", "savings" and the BIG I (, no not myself, but ) "Investment". I can hear many of you saying "Chill out man! you just started!". Don't you wish it was that simple?! Wait till you start reading the fine-print on Taxes! And lets not even get started on bills!

Things felt far more smooth, when all you had to do was attend lectures and chill out with mates in the evening... better still - bunk lectures and chill out with mates all day! Just as much as all this seems like a bother, life has a twisted sense of humour - just as much as u hate it, you develop a liking for it. The whole sense of complication, planning, understanding and acting gives you a cruel sense of satisfaction.

Not to go without mention, is the fact that I do have a increased respect for how hard the parents try. And I defenitely have to mention the perks of owning a car, and driving over 10,000 miles in less than 6 months! I Love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude.....welcome to the grown up world